Friday we developed some lists of morally wrong and MP/MO/otherwise good actions. We will use these lists as "data" and ask what it is about these, say, wrong actions that *makes* them wrong, and what it is about the non-wrong actions that *makes* them not wrong. We will develop some explanations or hypotheses (some moral theories). We will them compare our theories to some of the most historically influential theories found in the "Short Introduction to Moral Philosophy" article.
The reading and writing assignments for Monday are found on the blog.
Here are those lists/charts:
Actions that you think almost everybody would think are obviously wrong. VIVID, Extreme and gruesome!
Actions that you think almost everybody would think is MP, MO or GOOD – not wrong!
Actions that you think almost everybody would think are obviously wrong
- Specific examples
Actions that you think almost everybody would think is MP, MO or GOOD – not wrong
- Torturing people for fun
- Needless cannibalism ?
- Body dismemberment
- Not cleaning up after dog
- Massacring THIS CLASS
- Incest? = abusive relationships
- Punting “little people” who don’t want it
- Wealthy person stealing from a church or charity
- Killing people for for status.. for their shoes..
- Chattel Slavery
- Preventing women from voting
- Genocide …
- Cheating on spouse who expects to not be cheated on
- Nuclear attack
- Needless cannibalism ?
Going to church
Saving someone’s life..
Going to class
Community service.. helping others
Giving to charity.
Protecting pregnant women.
Being responsible for your own children.
Actions (or character traits) that you think almost everybody would think are obviously wrong
- Vivid, extreme, gruesome examples. Specific examples
- Chopping off limbs for a hobby
- Child abuse .. beating your child
- Child molestation..
- Stealing organs
- Rape ..
- Not saving someone’s life if you could easily do so.
- Drunk driving..
- Identify theft
- Killing someone for a dirty look .. or stepping on shoes.. or for shoes.
- Making 5 year olds smoke cigarettes
- Genocide – massacring people for no good reason
- Drag racing?
- Beating up people and bullying people just because weaker..
Actions (or character traits) that you think almost everybody would think is MP, MO or GOOD – not wrong
-Donating to charity
-Saving a drowning person in a pool
-NOT cheating on your spouse who reasonably expects to not be cheated on…
- being healthy
- helping others..
- helping lost child find their parents at Wal Mart
- preventing a kidnapping.